Monday, May 12, 2014

Forever Repining

I wish I could tell you…everything. Open up as you asked me to. Be the person you saw and appreciated me for.

But what do I even say?

Perhaps this and this alone… I’m not whom you’re looking for.

I have walked into a conflict of my own volition – and you stand there, waiting for my answer, believing in your convictions to persuade me to see the light, to take the step.

“But I don’t know you

…and I wish I did.”

Strike a chord within my heart. Don’t leave me cold. Make me care. Make me love you.

I’m tired of relating to people out of a sense of duty or obligation. Make me want to seek you out, for no other reason than to be with you. Make me crave your presence, feel alive in your company.

Make me leave the realm of my mind and feel what I’d been so good at imagining so far. Make me see myself for who I am.

But that’s too much to ask, isn’t it?

So leave me to pick up the pieces of my unrealized dreams, weave them into a veil, and lie beneath it, forgotten to the world.

No trail shall be left and yet there will always be signs that would lead you to me. Make me wish, fervently, that you will heed them and come for me.

You will bring me back, won’t you?

I would tear down the walls, but I won’t. I can’t.

The quiet darkness, the sedate comfort of a narrow sphere, painstakingly built with everything I knew of with certainty.

There isn’t much to go on with, in there. Make me yearn for more, to live in the thrill than in that deadening refuge.


“But you saw me for who I really was…or did you?”

“I see you for who you are. Nothing more, nothing less.”

“…and you should know, that adds all the value you could possibly want.”

“But I didn’t want any.”

They met. By the riverside, with the day dying upon them and the cool breath of night starting to blow. Water always calmed her, she said, but nothing compared to the ocean and its freeing effect. But this would have to do, she mused. For all the things that we could have done together, it will have to do.

And you think I didn’t want the same, he thought, looking at her quietly as she gazed back at him in equal solemnity.

She looked away, almost smiling to herself, “We both did.”

“Yes. But you wouldn’t let me.”

She turned to face him again, leaning in to wrap her arms around his neck. “Because if I did, it’s still not what either of us is looking for.”

“And I’d kiss you, like before, but it would…”

“Be my guest.”

He settled for cupping her face, drawing her closer. “It won’t be enough of a claim, will it now?

She smiled rakishly. “Not in a million years.”

And yet she stood before him, willingly in his hold, endless thoughts skimming before her closed eyes as she waited for one to strike her mind, pierce her heart…perhaps, perhaps succinctly pinpoint the myriad of feelings he managed to evoke in her. Then again, it wasn’t him per se – it was the idea he represented, the idea she had chased blindly for as long as she could remember.

Isn’t it said, one falls more in love with the idea of falling in love rather than with someone?

She looked at him again, taking in his presence, drawing comfort from the familiarity of his being…and yet, perhaps it does takes more than mere affection to set a heart racing. She wondered what it was and whether she would ever find it.

5 comments:

  1. You know it will break your heart, it has to, it doesn't have to hold promise that it can, it must; he must, leave. Would you, no can you forego something you know is your redemption, perhaps the only ticket, but is too dear too pure to be let go off? But if it doesn't break your heart, nothing could break the fall either. It's a slow, slow descent.

    :)
    Blasphemous Aesthete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I must get my heart broken either way. Well, what's life without a little bit of sweet, anticipated anguish?

      Thank you for reading. :)

      Delete
  2. Rose,

    First of all - MANY MANY HAPPY RETURNS OF THE DAY. MAY GOD BLESS YOU WITH A VERY VERY JOYFUL, HEALTHY, SUCCESSFUL, FUNFUL, HAPPY AND PEACEFUL LIFE FULL OF LOVE FROM EVERYONE. MAY ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE.

    Now coming to this post, life has many ups and downs and one has to live face it with a smile. I hope and pray that you get whatever you feel is good for you.

    Take care

    PS : How I wish I could send an e-card! I do not think I have your e-mail id. May I request you to let me know at my id - niceguy251@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose,

    First of all - MANY MANY HAPPY RETURNS OF THE DAY. MAY GOD BLESS YOU WITH A VERY VERY JOYFUL, HEALTHY, SUCCESSFUL, FUNFUL, HAPPY AND PEACEFUL LIFE FULL OF LOVE FROM EVERYONE. MAY ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE.

    Now coming to this post, life has many ups and downs and one has to live face it with a smile. I hope and pray that you get whatever you feel is good for you.

    Take care

    PS : How I wish I could send an e-card! I do not think I have your e-mail id. May I request you to let me know at my id - niceguy251@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack uncle,

      Terribly delayed, I know, but thank you so much (I hardly come here, except to make a rare post). Your good wishes are heartily appreciated - I hope you have been well. And yes, who wouldn't welcome an e-card? =D

      Delete

Praises or barbs, you are welcome to speak your mind.