Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Insightful Charm



The translucent, curved pendant gleamed like the moon, reflecting greyish undertones from its circular countenance.

“Do you like it?”

I nodded, too overwhelmed to respond. “It’s chalcedony, isn’t it?”

Another nod confirmed my guess.

The medallion dangled from the delicate silver chain I held in my hand, working it to and fro.

“Here, let me,” he offered, taking the ornament from my hands and tying it around my neck.

I sighed. “Can I thank you enough?”

He chuckled. “It’s fine. You needed a charm.”

I was too caught up in observing how my new possession sparkled and glimmered in the fading sunlight, until he leaned in to whisper, “Sometimes, that is all one needs, eh?”

For a moment I was taken aback, not comprehending his words.

He pointed towards the glittering pendant. I looked at it closely, until it struck me as to how it seemed to take on a life of its own, becoming the sun itself as rays shone over its surface.

I couldn’t distinguish any colour.

He sighed, more so out of contemplation than disquiet. “You see, had it been any other stone, it would have drawn on the light to enhance its own beauty, whereas this little piece simply becomes a medium for the light to shine.”

I saw the meaning as clear as day. Glancing towards him in astonishment, I managed to utter. “You certainly don’t mean…”

He nodded, smiling. “Why did I say that it suits you? Because you yourself are like this piece of chalcedony.”

...

Lame, I know. But the fact that school is about to begin, tomorrow, does this to my writing, I suppose. In any case, I did want to flesh out the analogy of the pendant, but neither can I find the words, nor I have the inclination to do so. Maybe later, perhaps. 

6 comments:

  1. But its beautiful :)
    Reminds me of the song,

    You're a firework.

    Cheers,
    Blasphemous Aesthete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    Got your link from Juhi. Read current posts. Liked the poem. You write well and have making of becoming a very good fiction writer. Keep writing. Do not be underconfident as I see in some footnotes.

    Take care

    PS : Visit me, if you find time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. Your remarks are extremely encouraging. I'm flattered that you see me as a potential writer. Will keep writing for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'I sighed. “Can I thank you enough?” '
    Typically you :D

    It was good! Not lame at all :)

    ReplyDelete

Praises or barbs, you are welcome to speak your mind.