Saturday, August 10, 2013

The Last Laugh

That feeling, when you look back and realise just how many things (and even people) you have left behind.

Nothing, and no one, is ever indispensable, is it?

However, thrown in the eye of a raging storm, grappling for anchors that are yet unreliable, you hanker for the lost times, the transient comfort that sheltered life offered you – friends, confidantes…all yet to step beyond that point of no return, prepared to shake off those shackles that bound them to their volatile, vulnerable selves.

Not knowing that those sides will raise their ugly heads at the most inopportune of moments.

And you choose to blind yourself – hide behind the countless avenues of escape, driven to the point of maddening laughter, masking the involuntary cries of desolation as you get buried beneath a convenient fa├žade, refusing to slip away even within the confines of your solitude. Those mindless pursuits, those numbing recreations – you give in to them, as does everyone else, each present moment postponed to another time.

You envisage a future unencumbered by narrow beliefs and constricting relations. A life carved on your terms and your terms alone. And yet the enormity of achieving that vision overwhelms you to submission.

It’s the same story day in and day out. You know the way, but it takes all of your courage to maintain the status quo, let alone break it and bear its ramifications.

And yet, things will change. People will come, people will go. You are left stranded in the middle of it all, watching it happen, living as if suspended from motion, dimly aware of how everything else moves ahead, except you.

So you retreat to your high-held composure; that infallible assurance that you were meant for things beyond the band-wagon and for you, time and space does not exist. That spiritualistic viewpoint, killing the tearing hurry of all human endeavours, the lowly outlooks of achievement and possession…reinforces your disillusionment in this worldly life and you give up even more.

You had two paths laid out before you and you can’t choose either. And yet, you have walked on both.

Would you ever be able to blaze your own trail?

Or will you run ahead, regardless of the path, only to be forced to look back?

Perhaps, you will have the last laugh anyhow – either at your own incompetence or your steadfast zeal to break all conventions. And then, nothing would matter. 

4 comments:

  1. Honestly, how many times have you done this to yourself? To motivate yourself? To try and make effort to have that last laugh which is definitely not a mocking.

    I think I've done this for quite some years now. Though I could never have put them in such stark yet beautiful lines. I just excuse myself that I have too much inertia, or assure myself that there is no hurry because I will live a hundred years. All this hurry threatens me, when I am not the one calling the shots. It is like I have planned both of my paths meticulously, the one that leads me to an unsung nemesis, and also that path I could set on fire as I pass, if I do. There isn't much uncertainty, except on those fine mornings when I actually put an act together. It is these acts that keep me afloat.

    But gravity pulls me underwater even though I have enough water to keep me afloat. This post echoes so many things in my head. I hope it is not the case with you and you are just writing someone else's mind. :)

    Kudos Rose!

    Blasphemous Aesthete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My, your comment is equivalent to a follow-up to this post! Well, these were my thoughts, albeit slightly exaggerated. And the only thing I realise is that it's all about what you get out of your actions at the end of the day - praises, approval or even brickbats don't matter. That's the kind of life you must try to achieve - the one that ultimately makes you happy, without subject to external standards.

      Thank you for reading! :D

      Delete
  2. The way you write is incredible!

    ReplyDelete

Praises or barbs, you are welcome to speak your mind.