Thursday, April 12, 2012

Ramblings Of Boring Romanticism - I


Prologue: The disillusion named ‘love’.

If people were asked what was the one thing that would breathe life into their otherwise perfectly ordinary existences, (and I don’t mean air) the most obvious and expected answer would be ‘love’. Love makes the world go round, they say. Love is very life itself. That and other seemingly countless quotes, verses, songs, prose, playwright and all possible forms of expression can be found in every single language and art form that has existed till date about this very unique emotion that is, without exaggeration, at the very core of this world’s workings.

I don’t include certain kind of fanatics with completely different motives without the slightest lacing of this wonderful feeling to that list.

Now I could write, as I stated above, countless words on love and its various manifestations. But I won’t bother with them for now. My focus shall remain on the most evident thoughts that the mere mention of ‘love’ provokes.

Of course, it has to be romantic love, right?

Or rather, how impossible romantic love is, perhaps? The very reason why I’m penning this down today.


One wonders where the good ol' days went, sigh


Let no one mistake me to be a frustrated single who hasn’t managed to experience those ‘trysts’ with destiny, let alone find ‘the love of life’. 

No, I could be considered as one of those eclectic individuals who would ponder upon the nuances of this romantic love and wonder: is it really true?

I have every reason to believe this is the most-often asked question after ‘does God exist?’ without any need of surveys or statistics to support my claim.

Furthermore, the real question is this: if it weren’t true, why would it be projected that way?

That does imply that there is a degree of truth to the romantic love, now doesn’t it?

There comes my reason for writing this: I’m merely a curious individual, inquisitive and willing enough to try and explore this form of love and see for myself if it is that ‘charming’ and ‘enchanting’ and ‘ecstatic’ as the poets, the singers and the most famous lovers of the world have proclaimed.

Needless to say, I haven’t struck gold yet.

Not that this is the age to achieve it as most elders would be quick to admonish but I’m not taking into account the frivolities of teenage infatuations and crushes and the corny sounding ‘girlfriends’ and ‘boyfriends’ that drive these poor people up the wall.

Oh wait, I think I haven’t mentioned that I’m an adolescent, after all. Well, that should justify my curiosity, right?

Over to others to relate their (I would add so-called) experiences of this feeling which is rightly termed as romanticism.

Romance…and romanticism – so widespread, so prevalent and yet repeated to the extent of being a hackneyed term. The first word that comes to my mind when I hear of romance? Boring.

Care to prove me otherwise? I’m waiting, 

..................................................................................................................................................................................

This is going to be a six-post series (and hopefully I will complete the remaining parts) but this is as much of a prologue as you can get.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with the fact that this is the most often asked question.
    Love the first paragraph of the post :)
    You should totally bring out the next parts and I will give my views :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My, that was quick. Well, it's one question we all so devoutly try to answer, isn't it?

      I certainly will. Thank you for your support. :)

      Delete
  2. Rose,

    I always say that love is of many hues, like parents love for children, children's love for parents, love between sibling or friends and of course romantic love. Love is an emotion which can be known only when experienced as no amount of words can make one understand it.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do understand what you mean and this write-up is by no means an attempt to undermine the importance of love. It's merely a satirical take on our obsession with romance.

      Your feedback is appreciated. Thank you for reading. :)

      Delete
  3. well if we know what hate is, then we can also understand what love is...
    i love life..
    and i believe that the moment you try explaining what love is, you loose it's beauty... :)

    but still question is valid as "believe" is the key behind any thing.if you believe that love exist then it exist,if you don't believe then it doesn't exist.In end people who believe is no better then people who don't believe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whether you believe in love or not, it doesn't matter, at least not to others. Discovering love and its varied forms differs from individual to individual - I'm simply portraying the most common ramifications of this journey.

      Thank you for reading. :)

      Delete

Praises or barbs, you are welcome to speak your mind.