Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Unfulfilled Wishes




Fireworks lit up the sky. Cheers and yells resound through the air.

She’s sitting by her window, gazing at the revelry all around. Cold and alone, she wraps her arms around her knees, sighing.

Memories flit behind her closed eyes.

I dream of rain
I dream of gardens in the desert sand
I wake in vain
I dream of love as time runs through my hand

The place glimmering with candles, she twirls around, her flowing red dress glowing in the dark. She spins and he catches her, drawing him to her, whispering the promises of a lifetime.

A year ago. Seems like another life altogether.

This fire burns
I realize that nothing's as it seems

Oh, how she loved that song, and still does. She was never for dancing, but that night…aroused in her feelings she couldn’t have expressed through words.

Her back arched, supported only by his strong hands and he leans in to kiss her as the fireworks set off.

Happy New Year, my love.

She could have lived forever in that moment, but, isn’t it just another human weakness to try and attempt to make something so transient eternal?

The memory of that beautiful New Year’s is not enough to see her through this one.

But you knew I loved you,
We could have shown them all,
We should have seen love through

The sky still glitters and shimmers. She couldn’t be bothered with wishing people at this very hour.

The silence is just too overbearing.

It is with sheer willpower that she resists from calling him, not willing to further shatter the illusion. The illusion that it’s still the same, that any moment he would come home, greet her and everything will be all right again.

Strange that I was wrong enough,
To think you'd love me too.
I guess you were kissing a fool,

Why didn’t they dance to this song?

You must have been kissing… a fool.
...................................................................................................................................

Most of my New Years' are spent alone, but not in this depressing manner. Oh well, but creativity finds its own way.

Hoping that everyone's had a good beginning to this year. :)

Lyrics credit: Sting's Desert Rose and George Michael's Kissing A Fool. 

6 comments:

  1. Ah! even when u know tht things will never be the same again, still u wish, u hope!
    Beautifully penned..and apt lyrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of your New Years' are spent alone? :O
    *waves hands vigorously* I'm still alive!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red Handed: One can never stop hoping. Thank you for reading. :)

    Juhi: I knew you'd bring this up. For the record, two's the count, my dear. I meant my whole life. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think about the ones that are still to come!! :) Atleast you confess things to me on New Years ;D And it wasn't my problem if you didn't want to join me in 2010 :S

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's better to let negativity find its vent in creativity than manifest itself in some other form of delusion.

    Nice wordplay intertwined with a mix of songs. I love the desert rose, it can be heard many times over.


    Cheers,
    Blasphemous Aesthete

    ReplyDelete
  6. Juhi: Confess? I always tell you everything!

    Blasphemous Aesthete: Desert Rose is such a lovely song and yes, I hear it many times in a row. Thank you for reading. :)

    ReplyDelete

Praises or barbs, you are welcome to speak your mind.