Friday, December 16, 2011

A Heartfelt Letter




I set myself the task to write you something...and I draw blanks.

Not what you would expect of me, right? I’m never at a loss for words, whether it is one of the usual lectures or the sage-like comments on your doings or even when we’re up discussing just about everything and everyone affecting (or not affecting) our lives. I was the more expressive one, even if not generous with compliments and praises (but critique, sure enough) the way you are.

Six years...no, more than that, and I never wrote a letter to you; a characteristic of my close relationships.

Despite our friendship being the most conventional kind, a fallback anchor which only strengthened during the years, it was always a touch different. Together and yet separate. Bonded and yet apart. A presumption we both carried that the other will be there when needed as we went about our different lives.

A distance which will only grow further. Time flew by so quickly, didn’t it? Just yesterday, we were two inquisitive, somewhat naive sixth graders, having made our acquaintance in circumstances I don’t even recall any longer - only that we wouldn’t have even thought of becoming good friends, so different we were. I was the typical student, mindful of her performance at every turn and a touch grownup for her age; you, on the other hand, into everything that was teenage. We are no less different now, except we are too used to complementing each other to break out of the comfort zone that took some effort establishing.

I’m digressing...surely you know all of that. What should I write about then? About how we have never fought, like typical friends do, choosing to ignore the difference of opinion altogether? Or how we would be the first to tell each other of any recent development (including well-kept secrets that are not supposed to be revealed to anyone, but of course, we must tell one another)? Or how we can always count on each other’s company when the whole world has deserted us and we have no one to turn to? The list goes on...these six years of friendship have been too eventful to recount every detail. We know it, we know it too well. It is what forms the base of our mutual understanding that needs no words.

Perhaps I took that maxim a bit too far, to the extent that I never acknowledged it properly. And this is the purpose of this write-up, the first letter that I have coined for you and it shall speak only of gratitude, my friend. You were the silent figure, staying in shadows behind my back while I chased the illusionary charms of the world; only stepping forward into the picture either to hoist me up further in success or to lift me from the spiralling despair I fell victim to, more often than not. I have had my share of dealing with acquaintances and friends as well and yet, did I not always depend on you, for everything?

You are the only friend I see as an equal. A refuge, a recourse, a support – never judging, never asking. Over the years, whatever little influence I could bring in your life was noticed and talked about, and yet, do not people see, that you held me from falling apart, alone and miserable? That you are one person I can rightfully ask to do anything, knowing I’ll never be turned down? Your friendship is invaluable to me, my friend. The ‘honour’ which I so seek after in any relation, in your case, it is how you helped me to be myself above everything.

On this very special day, I pray that you may do all that you wished for, achieve all that your heart has always been set on. I pray that you may remain the way you are – caring and looking after others, in that nonchalant way of yours. I seek to believe that we will remain friends for as long as live. For my destiny leads me to deem that this association of ours surpasses lifetimes.

Here’s to a year of new beginnings. Many happy returns of the day, my dear friend.

-Truly yours.


.................................................................................................................................


For the wonderful writer at ♡♥♪ჱL!fe Thr()ugh My Eyes♡♥♪ჱ,  without whom I wouldn't have been here, if you haven't guessed it already, this is for you, Juhi. The letter says it all, doesn't it?


Happy birthday! Have a wonderful year ahead! :D

7 comments:

  1. Nice dedication rose..!!! Cheers a friendship that's steered itself through time..!! :):)
    and happy birthday to the birthday girl as well :):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, let me tell you that this is the best gift I can ever get.
    Nobody's ever written me a letter before. You know that, right?
    I'm at a loss of words. Seriously. I'm just so grateful to have someone like you. I don't know where I would be without you. We'll stick by, don't worry :) We have a long long way to go!
    We also need to fly across the seas and kick someone's a** :P We'll do that someday. =D

    Thank you once again for everything.
    I'll tell you more things personally :P
    Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Supernick: Thank you. :)

    Juhi: Now I didn't know that this is your first letter. Glad to be the first one. And might as well chuck the idea of flying overseas specially. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose,

    Read 2 posts now. Waiting for next part of story. It is so sweet of you to acknowledge true friend like her and say what you said. You both are blessed with such good and close friendship. May you both have all the fun in life.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a feeling it was for her :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jack: We sure do hope for that. Thank you for reading. :)

    Ovais: Was it that obvious? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Praises or barbs, you are welcome to speak your mind.